Stacey's Reflection Blog

Thursday, June 04, 2009

It Was a PB Day!

Sunday May31st was a PB (Personal Best) day for me! It was the HSBC Marathon, and I decided to sign up for the 10Km race. As you can see from an earlier post, I was freaking out the night before, as per usual. And as per usual, I had a great time! I was in awe of the over 7000 people that came down to race. Watching the half-marathon and marathon start was pretty fascinating. It took about 10 minutes to get everybody over the start line...over 5000 people! Unbelieveable! It got me revved up for the 10, and when it started it took me about 4 minutes to get over the start line and about 2.5Km for the race to spread out. I really enjoyed watching all of the people in front of me, but I had a bit of trouble with the lack of race etiquette some people had. Constantly stopping in the middle of the road and not walking on the right hand side. Very frustrating. However, once things got moving, it went really well. I loved the steel drum band and the Elvis impersonator along the way. I chose to not stop for water at all. I think that saved me about a minute of time. I kept using my friend's Garmin to know where I was, what my pace was, and how much longer I had. My goal time was 1 hour, but I finished in 1hour1minute26seconds. That's 3minutes25seconds faster than my Canmore run last year which had about 1/4 of the amount of people running it. I placed 470/1165 females, which made me extremely happy. I beat more than half of them! I feel I could have finished in my hour if I had more room to weave at the beginning. The ending was great! Monique was waiting for me and cheering "Greenberg"! Nothing makes me happier than someone waiting for me at the finish line! Curtis was there to take pictures! Our friend Nathan finished the half Marathon about 12 minutes later! He had a great run too, but again, problems with weaving around and spreading out. We had our traditional post race breakfast at Diner Deluxe! I look forward to running this race again next year. I'm not a fan of the start time, but it's a great way to get the day going. I don't think I'll ever do the HSBC half. There are just too many people! Thank you Chad for having me sign up and making me believe in myself! I can't wait to hit Canmore in September!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home